Star of Wonder, Star of Night - a guest blog post by Andrew Davis

This talk was given in a recent chaplaincy assembly by Dr. Andrew Davies, a colleague of mine at St. Louis Priory School. Andrew has a background in astrophysics and he uses this knowledge to underpin his talk which encouraged students to think about what their guiding light is. This talk was so powerful that I thought it deserved a greater audience beyond those in the school community. Thank you for agree it share it, Andrew. (Tim Woodcock)

When I was a college student, I gave shows in the school planetarium to the public, talking about what was visible in the night sky that evening.  This season of Advent, I am often reminded of the most popular question I got when I gave planetarium shows in December: “What exactly was the Star of Bethlehem?”

This question has two answers: a short one and a long one. The short answer: we don’t know. Boring, but truthful. But, since my students know the best way to distract me in class is to get me talking about Astronomy, I’m going to give you the long answer too. There are lots of possibilities it could have been. It could have been a supernova explosion that signified the death of a massive star as it finally ran out of fuel in its giant nuclear furnace. As the fusion stops, the outer layers of the star collapse down onto the core, and then bounce back in an incredibly energetic explosion, sending light and gas outwards at high speeds. This supernova would have burned brightly for weeks or even months, and then eventually faded away, perhaps just after the Wise Men found the Christ Child. 

 Another possibility is that it was the birth of a star, beginning its billions of years of life as a new star in the sky. As stars gravitationally collapse out of giant clouds of gas, they are initially surrounded by their parent gas cloud. But, as the star starts shining for the first time, its light almost burns through the gas cloud, scattering it away. Then, the star becomes visible for the first time as a bright new star. For people who lived before electricity and hence knew the night sky extremely well, a new star peeking out from behind its gas cloud would be an incredible sight.

 Yet another possibility is that it was the last dying light of a star as it was sucked into a black hole.  That light can get bent around the hole and become much brighter than normal for a time. Or maybe it was a bright comet, finally coming close to the Sun after centuries in the more distant cold of deep space. Or maybe it was a meteor, burning brightly through the atmosphere. Or maybe it was something I haven’t thought of, which wouldn’t be too surprising because space is huge, with lots of amazing wonders in it we are still discovering.



 My point today isn’t actually on the speculations of what the Star of Bethlehem could have been. Rather, I want to focus in on the Wonder and Amazement it brought. There’s an old carol titled “With Wondering Awe” which talks about the Awe the wise men had when they saw the Star. As you might have guessed from the first part of my talk today, I feel an amazing sense of awe and wonder when I consider all the possibilities of what is out in space. One word for this is “numinous”, which I first encountered in Carl Sagan’s book Contact. Numinous is an adjective meaning “having the power to invoke fear and trembling, yet create fascination and attraction; transcendent; suggesting the presence of divinity.” For me, thinking about the vastness of space is numinous; I am fascinated by it and what it might hold. The shepherds and wise men surely felt this way when they searched for and found the Christ child. 

Numinous is an adjective meaning “having the power to invoke fear and trembling, yet create fascination and attraction; transcendent; suggesting the presence of divinity.” For me, thinking about the vastness of space is numinous; I am fascinated by it and what it might hold. 

 What is numinous for you? What brings you this incredible transcendent fascination and attraction? In other words, what excites and interests you? Maybe you find it in the complex and intricate details of how living creatures survive, grow, reproduce, and draw energy from the world around them. Maybe you find it in the words of poets and authors, as they tease out ideas and themes in their words across the centuries and across cultures. The idea that someone living in Greece over 2000 years ago had similar feelings of grief or love or uncertainty as you is incredible. Maybe you find a sense of wonder in the physical world of mountains, forests, rivers, seas. Being out in nature might bring this sense of awe and wonder to your life as you sit on a rock at the top of a mountain, amazed at the beauty around you. Maybe you find this sense of wonder reflected in the incredible imaginations of artists as they create works of art in many different styles and mediums. Maybe you find the numinous inside the walls of a church building or a monastery, or on your knees in a small chapel, as you contemplate your beliefs in the Divine. Or maybe even, and I know this is a stretch, you find something numinous in a math class, as you explore strange ideas about numbers and the infinite. 

 I can’t tell you where you will find the same Wonder that is described in the Christmas account in the Scriptures. But I can tell you that if you look for it, you will find it somewhere. Think back to when you were young, maybe only 5 years old. You probably had something you couldn’t stop talking about.  Possibly it was your favorite dinosaur. Mine was parasaurolophus. To this day, my mother will still bring that dinosaur up, asking me if it’s still my favorite. I’ve moved on a bit since I was that dino-crazed kid, but the answer is still yes. What brought you such a level of excitement and energy that drove the adults around you crazy? Young kids often can find wonder in just about anything around them. But as we grow, we often lose it. Our sense of the numinous can atrophy in the mundane, yet essential, activities of daily life: jobs, homework, chores. There are many ways that we can fulfill the scriptural command to become as a little child: finding wonder and awe in the world around you is one of them I hope you will work on. Learning to endure the mundane, and see through it to something beautiful is not easy. But I hope it can bring you purpose, excitement, and wonder to your life, and that will make your life one worth living for. One reason Priory has you take so many different courses is to allow you to explore so many different parts of life to help you find something that speaks to you. I know not all of you will find astronomy as interesting and amazing and awe-inspiring as I do, and that’s ok. But we want to help you find something that works for you to bring you this numinous connection with the Divine.

 To close, I want to end with two quotes about what brings me wonder: space. First, from Douglas Adams, a British author: “Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.” For me, thinking about all the stars, planets, galaxies, gas clouds, black holes, neutron stars, white dwarfs, red dwarfs, brown dwarfs, nebulae and more in space is amazing. I want to see it all, to go explore it, to understand it. But I’m also a little afraid of it. Space is huge, and I’m so small. How can I make a difference? To answer that I turn to my second quote, from Carl Sagan’s Contact: “She had studied the universe all her life, but had overlooked its clearest message: For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.”

And so I come back to the Star of Bethlehem, for me a symbol of Love, Light, and Beauty. As the scriptures say, Seek, and you will find. May each of you find something to fill you with excitement, amazement, awe, and love is my hope this Christmas season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ways of staying connected

Thoughts on the Kingdom and the "Kin-dom"

A Tale of Two Basins

Labels

Show more